It seems like throughout the decades the experts come up with different ways to parent that are best for babies. There is the ongoing breast-feed/bottle-feed debate; spank/no spank; let baby cry/don’t let baby cry; co-sleep/no co-sleep. At various times, different practices are recommended or not recommended, and trends change.
Table of Contents
- Advantages and Disadvantages
- Comparing Top-Rated Baby Food Makers
- Reviewing 7 of the Best Baby Food Makers
- #1.The Cuisinart 1000 – Best Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer
- #2.The Baby Brezza – Best One-Step Baby Food Maker
- #3.The Baby Brezza Glass – Best Baby Food Maker and Steamer
- #4.The Bapama – Best Mini Baby Food Maker
- #5.The Immersion – Best Handheld Baby Food Maker
- #6.The NUK Smoothie – Best Smoothie and Baby Food Maker
- #7.The Babymoov Nutribaby – Best Multi-Function Baby Food Maker
- Introducing Baby to Solid Food
- Final Thoughts
One important trend is whether to use pre-made baby food or make your own. There are advantages and disadvantages. As with most choices, this is a personal choice and will depend on factors such as time, money, or access to fresh ingredients. If you choose to make your own baby food, finding the best baby food maker for your needs is the first step.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- When you make your own baby food, you know exactly what ingredients you use and therefore you know exactly what your baby is eating.
- If you prefer organic, you can easily choose all organic ingredients, which is refreshing to know that nothing shady has been added by a food company.
- Making your own baby food gives you more flavor choices – you can make baby food that is rarely found pre-packaged, such as watermelon, avocado, venison, etc.
- More choices allow you to accustom your baby to the types of food that the entire family eats so the transition to solid food is easier.
- Making your own baby food allows you to start your baby’s food journey with no processed foods. This teaches healthy eating habits from the beginning.
- If you use washable and reusable containers, you are helping the environment as well as the baby.
- Busy parents may not feel they have the time to prepare food, thereby pre-packaged food is more convenient.
- Because baby food purchased in the store does not need refrigeration until opened, storage space in the refrigerator or freezer may be a problem.
Comparing Top-Rated Baby Food Makers
|Product Name||Size||Functions||Accessories||View on Amazon|
|Cuisinart Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer||4 cups||4||Yes||Check Price|
|Baby Brezza One-Step Baby Food Maker||2 ½ cups||2||No||Check Price|
|Baby Brezza Glass Baby Food Maker||4 cups||2||No||Check Price|
|Bapama Baby Food Maker||12 ounces||4||Yes||Check Price|
|Sage Spoonfuls Baby Food Maker||–||1||No||Check Price|
|NUK Smoothie and Baby Food Maker||3 cups||1||Yes||Check Price|
|Babymoov Nutribaby||6 ¼ cup steaming 3 cup blending||5||Yes||Check Price|
Reviewing 7 of the Best Baby Food Makers
#1.The Cuisinart 1000 – Best Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer
The Cuisinart Baby Food Maker-1000 Food Maker and Bottle Warmer can be used even before your baby is ready to begin eating. It has a built-in bottle warmer that can be used to heat your infant’s bottle.
It is important to get the baby’s milk to the right temperature without getting it too hot. Bottle warmers have settings that allow you to do this without the worry of overheating, which can cause serious burns in a baby’s mouth and throat. Baby’s milk should feel lukewarm when you test it on your wrist. A bottle warmer is a safe alternative to holding the bottle under warm water or placing the bottle in a bowl of warm water.
Note: Do not heat baby’s formula in the microwave – it can cause hot spots in the formula that can cause burns. Heating breast milk in the microwave or on the stovetop can break down the milk and get rid of important substances that improve the baby’s health.
#2.The Baby Brezza – Best One-Step Baby Food Maker
The Baby Brezza One-Step Baby Food Maker allows you to cook and blend baby food in one step. This is a time-saver for busy parents. There are 3 settings to choose from – steam only, blend only, and automatically blend after steaming – allowing you to set it and forget it so that you have time to do other things while baby’s food is preparing.
You also have many choices because this baby food maker can prepare meats and fish, vegetables, and fruits. You can create your own combinations of flavors that you may not find in pre-packaged baby food.
#3.The Baby Brezza Glass – Best Baby Food Maker and Steamer
The Baby Brezza Glass Baby Food Maker uses a large, 4-cup glass bowl that allows you to steam and blend baby’s food in one step. You can prepare enough food at one time to store in small quantities for later use, and it can be done in only 10 minutes.
Though glass and plastic are both safe for food prep, some people prefer glass because the chance of chemical contamination of food is decreased.
#4.The Bapama – Best Mini Baby Food Maker
The Bapama Baby Food Maker is a mini baby food maker that can be used to steam, blend, heat, and defrost baby’s food. You can blend a minimum of 1.8 ounces of food, making this an easy tool to use for feeding your baby fresh food each time.
It can also be used to defrost and heat small portions of food that you have prepared and stored ahead of time. Quieter than most blenders, the Bapama makes it easier to prepare baby’s food while maintaining a quiet environment for baby.
#5.The Immersion – Best Handheld Baby Food Maker
The Immersion Hand Blender and Food Processor by Sage Spoonfuls is convenient and can be used anywhere. The hand-held immersion blender can be used to puree food in any container. If you are in a restaurant with your baby, you can order from the menu (or take from your plate) and make baby food for your baby instantly.
This is a handy tool for traveling and/or spending time in the outdoors with your family. It has a food processing attachment that makes it easy to use to prepare baby’s food while camping, hiking, or traveling. Everything you need to turn fruits, vegetables, and meats into a fresh meal for baby on-the-go or at home.
#6.The NUK Smoothie – Best Smoothie and Baby Food Maker
The NUK Smoothie and Baby Food Maker comes in a 20-piece set that makes it easy to make fresh and healthy food for your baby and entire family. It comes with a sippy cup that attaches directly to the blender and allows you to prepare a fresh, healthy snack for your child in an instant.
Starting baby off with fresh, healthy foods leads to a lifetime of healthy food choices. This smoothie and baby food maker allows you to serve baby a wide variety of foods and snacks without a lot of hassle.
#7.The Babymoov Nutribaby – Best Multi-Function Baby Food Maker
The Babymoov Nutribaby is a 5 in 1 baby food maker is a steamer, blender, warmer, defroster, and sterilizer. The Nutribaby allows you to cook healthy meals for baby. With it’s large capacity, you can prepare up to 25 servings to store for future use – and, you can prepare family-sized servings of steamed vegetable to go with your meal.
This multi-functional baby food maker is a convenient addition to your kitchen and makes preparing healthy food for your baby and family a breeze.
Introducing Baby to Solid Food
The recommended age to begin introducing baby to solid foods is between 4 and 6 months. Be sure to discuss with your pediatrician before you begin. Once your pediatrician gives the go-ahead, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Since baby has only been introduced to formula and/or breastmilk, you are not aware of any food allergies your baby may have. In the beginning, introduce baby to single ingredient foods – apples only, bananas only, etc. Introduce one food, then wait for several days before introducing a new food.
Signs of food allergy include rash, hives, diarrhea, vomiting, or coughing. Be sure to contact your pediatrician if you observe any of these signs. Once your baby has eaten one food successfully for several days with no signs of a food allergy, introduce another food. Repeat until baby has been introduced to many foods.
Mixed ingredient foods should only be introduced once the baby has successfully eaten each ingredient separately.
Here are a few safety precautions when preparing baby’s food:
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Clean all surfaces and equipment
- Do not use the same utensils or cutting boards for meats and fruits/vegetables to avoid cross contamination.
- Rinse all vegetables and fruit thoroughly.
- Do not wash fruit or vegetables with any type of cleaning solution.
- Remove any bruised or damaged areas of fruits and vegetables – these spots may contain bacteria that could harm baby.
- Do not add salt, seasonings, margarine or butter, lard, gravy, sugar, or sauces to baby’s food until baby is 1 year old.
Introducing your baby to solid foods is a major milestone in baby’s life. Be sure to discuss with your pediatrician before beginning and follow the above guidelines so that the introduction of solid foods is a pleasant experience for baby and begins a lifetime of healthy food choices.
Even for busy parents, the most nutritional option is your top priority for your precious baby. Baby food makers are a great tool to have in your kitchen so that you can provide baby with the most nutritional options no matter how busy your lifestyle.
A few things that I considered most important when choosing the best baby food maker include ease of use, how much baby food can be prepared and stored at one time, space, and convenience. One criteria I consider extremely important is how many functions can be accomplished with one machine.
With this criteria in mind, I feel the best baby food maker is the Babymoov Nutribaby. This machine can be used from birth and throughout your child’s life to provide nutritional meals, snacks, and smoothies. One of the most important accomplishments of parents is to teach baby to make healthy food choices throughout his/her life. The many functions and uses of the Nutribaby allow you to begin that journey as soon as baby is ready for solid foods.