During the 1950s, people began to travel more often due to better roads, interstates and more reliable cars. Women also started going to college more, having careers and less mother’s stayed home to raise children. It was during this time, we began to move away from cloth diapers and use convenient disposable diapers.
If you are using disposable diapers, then it completely makes sense to also use disposable baby wipes to clean up baby’s messy business. Enter diaper wipes – napkin-sized wet wipes saturated with gentle cleansing agents. Though wet wipes were around in the 50s and 60s, it wasn’t until the 80s that wet wipes – diaper wipes – designed specifically for babies were introduced.
Today, diaper wipes have evolved to include types specifically made for baby’s with extremely sensitive skin, are eco-friendly, and diaper wipes with no chemicals at all. Below, I will review seven of the best diaper wipes and outline the pros and cons of each.
We will explore baby wipes made of all-natural products, baby wipes that are biodegradable, baby wipes with no scent and with refreshing scents as well as baby wipes that are the most versatile and convenient for parents of one or parents of many.
Comparison of 7 Best Baby wipes in 2019
|Image||Brand||Scented/ Unscented||Flushable||Alcohol||Latest Price|
|Huggies One and Done||Scented||No||No||Check Price|
|Pampers Sensitive Water||Unscented||No||Yes||Check Price|
|Aleva Naturals Bamboo||Scented||No||No||Check Price|
|Bloom Baby Sensitive Skin||Unscented||No||No||Check Price|
|Clean Leader Natural Newborn||Does not state||No||Does not state||Check Price|
|WaterWipes Sensitive||Unscented||No||No||Check Price|
|Pampers Baby Fresh||Scented||No||No||Check Price|
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 7 Best Baby wipes in 2019
- Top 7 Best Baby Wipes Reviews in 2019
- That Dreaded Diaper Rash
- What You Can Do to Prevent Diaper Rash
- Tips for Changing Diaper
- Final Thoughts
Top 7 Best Baby Wipes Reviews in 2019
1. Huggies One and Done Refreshing Baby Wipes
As the name implies, these diaper wipes are thicker and stronger so all you need is one and you are done.
Cucumber and green tea provide a fresh scent that makes changing time less of a smelly affair.
This refill pack provides you with 648 sheets. Refill packs do not include a pop-up dispenser, but the wipes will fit in any diaper wipe dispenser.
2. Pampers Sensitive Water Baby Wipes
These wipes come in a resealable package and are ideal for use in a diaper bag – or to keep in the car for use on older kids while traveling.
This sensitive wipe from one of the most popular manufacturers of diapers are convenient to use (wipes are folded together for easy removal from packaging) are great for children of all ages.
Soft enough to use for face, hands, and diaper area – as well as makeup removal, they have a long shelf life and store/transport easily, so you always have a wipe on hand when it is most needed.
3. Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby Wipes
They are made of 100% Rayon from Bamboo and are soft enough for babies with sensitive skin (Source).
Though not flushable, these wipes are biodegradable within 21-28 days, also making the one of the best eco-friendly baby wipes.
Aleva Naturals can be safely used on baby’s face, hands, and diaper area as well as used for removing makeup.
4. Bloom Baby Sensitive Skin
Another of the best eco baby wipes, these wipes are made using wind energy and 100% hydro pure water.
Baby Bloom Sensitive baby wipes come in a resealable package and pull out of the package easily, giving you one less worry when dealing with the smelly messes babies can create.
Hypoallergenic, these wipes can be used for people of all ages and are safe for hand, faces, and diaper areas.
5. Clean Leader 100% Natural Newborn Baby Dry Wipes
Because these wipes are dry, they are super absorbent and can even be used on wounds.
These wipes are also great for applying skin care treatments, cleansers, and creams. For diapering, these wipes are easy to use with water or your own homemade wipe formula.
6. WaterWipes Sensitive Baby Wipes
Containing 99% purified water and a small amount of fruit extract, this wipe is sensitive to baby’s skin.
Possibly one of the best baby wipes to use on newborns, these wipes also work well for older children and adults with sensitive skin, elderly skin care, and for pets.
This versatile and natural wipe is convenient and easy to use for skin care while camping, picnicking, hiking, and during all sorts of sports.
7. Pampers Baby Fresh Scented Baby Wipes
Hypoallergenic Pampers Baby Fresh Scented Baby Wipes have a refreshing scent and each sheet contains lotion to keep baby’s skin hydrated.
These wipes are 4 times stronger than other Pampers wipes and other brands, so the cleanup requires fewer wipes.
These wipes work well with plastic dispensers and in a diaper warmer and are gentle enough to use for newborns, hands, faces, and so much more.
That Dreaded Diaper Rash
Diaper dermatitis, more commonly known as diaper rash, is one of the most common skin irritations for babies – especially babies with already-sensitive skin.
Baby Diaper rash is caused by urine or poop irritating baby’s skin. Diaper rash can usually be cured with over-the-counter ointments applied to the affected area.
A more sever form of diaper rash – Candida diaper rash – requires medical attention and a prescription-strength antifungal cream (Source). This form of diaper rash is causes by the presence of a type of yeast – Candida.
Candida rashes can occur on the skin (most often the buttocks and genital areas) and in the mouth. Candida rashes make the skin extremely red with small red spots surrounding the large, red patches.
In the mouth, a candida rash is commonly known as thrush – and your pediatrician can prescribe medication to cure it.
What You Can Do to Prevent Diaper Rash
According to the NIH (National Institutes of Health), one of the most important tasks for a parent is taking care of baby’s sensitive skin. Here are a few tips they recommend:
- Change baby’s diaper frequently – for small babies, every 2 to 3 hours.
- To prevent and treat mild diaper rash, it is recommended to leave your baby’s diaper off for short periods throughout the day.
- Use alcohol-free baby wipes to avoid drying out baby’s skin.
- If you do not use diaper wipes, and even if you do, when you are at home, wash the diaper area with mild soap and warm water – be sure to dry the area thoroughly.
- Use cream containing zinc oxide or unscented petroleum jelly before putting baby’s diaper back on to help protect and lubricate baby’s skin.
- Do not use baby powder or talc in the diaper area.
- Begin treating diaper rash immediately with over-the-counter products made for this specific purpose.
- For sever diaper rash, take baby for a visit with his/her pediatrician.
Tips for Changing Diaper
WebMD offers the following tips for diaper changing:
- Have a set location for diaper changes. The perfect spot is a changing table, but if you do not have one, change in the same spot each time, preferably in a bathroom. Changing diapers all around the home spreads germs that can cause baby or others to become ill.
- NEVER change baby’s diaper in the kitchen or dining room.
- Have everything you need on hand. This makes the diaper change more efficient and there is less opportunity of spreading germs.
- Wiping method is extremely important. For girls, always wipe from front to back. This will help prevent yeast and other infections. The method is not so important for the boys – however, if you are not a first-time parent, you know the importance of playing a cloth over the penis to prevent a mess if baby pees during the change.
- To prevent the spread of germs, roll the diaper tightly and reseal with the tape (if using disposable). For cloth diapers, immediately add them to a diaper pail filled with pre-soak.
- Once complete, be sure to wash baby’s hands thoroughly as well as your own to prevent the spread of germs.
- Always check to be sure the changing station is not soiled and clean immediately if it is.
- Sanitize the cleaning station after each diaper change.
To prevent illness in children, be sure to enforce healthy hand washing for children and adults. Always clean and sanitize diapering areas and toilets.
Cleaning with detergent and water, then sanitizing with a bleach solution will help reduce germs in your child’s environment. Choosing the best baby products to use is only a part of creating a safe, healthy world for your child to grow up in.
Diaper wipes are such a handy product that many parents consider them a must-have on their list of baby products. In choosing what I feel is the best baby wipe, I considered the following.
Are they alcohol free? Are they made with natural ingredients? And, in today’s world, being eco-friendly is a plus for diaper wipes.With these thoughts in mind, I chose the Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby Wipes.
With their unique blend of natural and organic ingredients, these wipes are good for babies of any age (from newborns to adults) and good for the environment. Aleva Naturals can be added to you compost pile and are biodegradable within 21-28 days.
The natural oils (Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Tea Tree, and Lavender) sooth baby during a diaper change and hydrates baby’s skin so the PH balance is maintained and baby’s skin remains soft and smooth.
Because they contain no harsh chemicals, these wipes are less likely to cause skin irritations – therefore, can be used for diaper area as well as face and hands, for an overall cleaning wipe for kids and pets.
Though not unscented, Aleva Naturals provides a scent that is fresh and pleasant, and the lavender helps to soothe baby and create a less chaotic diaper change. Good for your baby and good for your planet, Aleva Naturals are one of the best baby wipes to use for your newborn.