Do you plan on getting a baby crib mobile for your newborn? Let me explain the benefits of doing so. In the first year of life, your baby will develop cognitive and motor skills that will last for the rest of their lives. Parental interaction and toys are two of the best ways to encourage a baby to reach developmental milestones during the first years.
Almost everything your baby does is helping him/her in the development process. Toys can play a significant role in this – and, for newborns – one-year-olds, one of the most popular learnings and development tools is the crib mobile.
Crib mobiles help your baby’s eyesight and hearing, as well as encouraging other motor and cognitive skills. Studies have shown that introducing babies to music helps them make better grades in the future as well as teaching them to control their emotions.
One of the first introductions to music for a baby is a mobile that hangs from the crib – playing music while teaching babies to focus on colorful objects.
Comparison of the 7 Best Crib Mobiles in 2019
|Tiny Love||Lights Colors||Rotates||Nine tunes||Check Price|
|Manhattan Toy Wimmer-Ferguson||Colors Patterns||Does not rotate||No sounds||Check Price|
|Myhouse Colorful Insects||Bright Colors||Does not rotate||Rattle Crinkle Sounds||Check Price|
|Trend Lab Mobile||Gray/White||Rotates||Lullaby||Check Price|
|Fisher-Price Precious Planet||Bright Colors/Lights||Rotates||Classical Lullabies; heartbeat and womb sounds||Check Price|
|SHILOH Baby Crib||Colors||Rotates||60 Tunes||Check Price|
|Tiny Love Take-Along||Bright Colors||Rotates||Music||Check Price|
Table of Contents
- Comparison of the 7 Best Crib Mobiles in 2019
- Top 7 Best Crib Mobile Reviews in 2019
- Developmental Stages Through Baby’s 1st Year
- Final Thoughts
Top 7 Best Crib Mobile Reviews in 2019
1. Tiny Love Classic Mobile, Into The Forest
One of the best crib mobiles for newborns is the Tiny Love Magical Night Musical Mobile. This crib mobile has three stages:
- Musical mobile/overhead projection for 0-5 months
- Crib music box/overhead projection for 5-18 months
- Starry musical night light for children over 18 months.
Tiny Love’s main goal has always been to create products that promote baby’s development from the moment they are born (source). Tiny Love strives to provide parents with toys and products that stimulate a baby’s growth, promote emotional health, and help baby learn through fun and wonder.
2. Manhattan Toy Wimmer
Manhattan Toy Wimmer-Ferguson Infant Stim-Mobile is one of the best mobiles for your baby’s development. This mobile uses high contrast images and colors to promote early visual and multi-sensory development. Start baby off with black and white; then switch to color cards once your baby has learned to focus. The Stim-Mobile has been one of the best crib mobiles for development, since 1988.
Since 1978, Manhattan Toy has provided toys that add a little humor to your child’s life as they promote their physical, emotional, and educational development. Manhattan Toy strives to use only wood from sustainable forests when manufacturing wooden toys – and they use only water-based paints for your child’s safety.
3. Fisher-Price Woodland Friends 3-in-1
Your baby will meet many milestones in brain and cognitive development during the first year. The Myhouse Colorful Insects Baby Plush Hanging Toys Mobile is one of the best crib mobiles for brain development. It can be attached to the side of baby’s crib or attached to a car seat or stroller to encourage cognitive and motor development anywhere you go.
Bright colors and plush animals help encourage development in several areas. This feature promotes cognitive development, promotes self-soothing, promotes gross and fine motor skills as baby reaches for and grasps toys, and promotes healthy emotional growth.
4. Trend Lab Mobile, Dove Gray Chevron
Bright, colorful mobiles are great for encouraging your child’s development. However, the best crib mobile for sleeping maybe a little less vivid to encourage self-soothing and help baby fall asleep. One of the best-rated baby crib mobiles is the Trend Lab Mobile in Dove Grey Chevron. Four gray, stuffed elephants rotate to Brahms’ Lullaby to soothe and relax baby at bedtime.
Based in Minnesota, Trend Labs has offered creative, quality products for baby’s nursery that is safe and fashionable. Certified as a women-owned business by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council, Trend Labs have offered quality baby products that adhere to the day’s trends since 2001.
5. Fisher-Price 2-in-1 Projection Mobile
One of the best musical crib mobiles available is the Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in1 Projection Mobile. This animal-themed mobile rotates and plays music to keep your baby entertained while encouraging baby’s development. The mobile comes with four plush animals with smiling faces such as a white polar bear, yellow lion, green alligator, and teal whale. This variety provides plenty of stimulation and brain development for your little one.
Fisher-Price has been providing fun and safe toys for children for over 75 years. They also place their focus on providing safe and innovative toys with sturdy construction that promote your child’s development from birth. Fisher-Price toys promote cognitive as well as gross and fine motor skills – skills that will last your child a lifetime.
6. SHILOH Baby Crib Decoration
The SHILOH Baby Crib Decoration Mobile is one of the best baby mobiles on the market. The colorful, plush animals spin to music to keep baby engaged as he/she learns to focus. This mobile also enhances the development of fine and gross motor skills, cognitive development, and promotes healthy emotional development.
Baby learns to focus his/her eyes and follow the animals as they “dance” to the music. Parents can also use this mobile as a tool to begin teaching the baby to recognize assorted colors and learn the names of animals. One of the best-rated crib mobiles, the SHILOH plush animal mobile provides a baby with plenty of stimulation as well as relaxation when it is time to fall asleep. Mobiles are one of the best tools to help baby learn to self-sooth and fall asleep on his/her own.
7. Tiny Love Take-Along Mobile
The Tiny Love Take Along Mobile is another top-notch mobile for baby. This mobile can attach to cribs, pack-n-plays, strollers, and infant carriers – making this one of the most portable mobiles on the market. Soft music and rotating characters promote sight development as well as allowing baby to learn to self-sooth and fall asleep on her own.
The perfect travel companion, this mobile attaches to baby’s car seat and keeps baby entertained on long rides. The soft music provides a relaxing atmosphere for your baby to fall asleep on long road trips. Learning to self-sooth and fall asleep on their by themselves helps contribute to healthy emotional development. These advancements will build confidence and allow your child to be more successful in social situations.
Developmental Stages Through Baby’s 1st Year
Babies reach certain developmental milestones throughout life – some of the most important occur during the first year. While all babies do not reach milestones at the same age, some guidelines help parents determine if their child is facing developmental challenges. Below are some of the milestones your baby will reach by the time he/she is 1.
1. 2 Months
- Emotional/Social – Baby should begin to smile when people talk. They should try to look at people when they hear them in the room and should begin calming him/herself.
- Communication/Language – At this age, a baby will begin turning his/her head toward sounds as well as making noises – cooing and gurgling sounds.
- Cognitive – Baby begins to recognize people, follow things with his/her eyes, and pay attention to different faces.
- Physical – Baby moves arms and legs smoothly and begins to hold head up. Tummy time is essential for your baby’s development at this stage.
2. 4 Months
- Emotional/Social – Baby begins to copy movements and facial expressions (smiling, frowning), and likes to interact with people. They become upset when that interaction stops and smiles when hearing parents’ voices or seeing their faces.
- Communication – Baby begins to babble and copy sounds he/she hears; develops different cries for different circumstances (hunger, tired, pain).
- Cognitive – Begins to develop eye/hand coordination by reaching for toys he/she sees; watches facial movements closely, and begins to recognize familiar things and people.
- Physical – Baby can hold their head steady without being supported. They can begin rolling over and push up on elbows during tummy time. They can also start holding toys and shaking or hitting at dangling gadgets (mobiles).
3. 6 Months
- Emotional/Social – Recognizes familiar faces and begins to understand the concept of strangers. They like to play with others, and often responds to others’ emotions (upset if someone else is angry, happy when others are happy).
- Communication – Begins to learn to make sounds that turn into words; copy sounds others make; responds to name;
- Cognitive – Pass things back and forth between hands; puts things into mouth accurately; tries to get to items that are out of reach.
- Physical – Can roll over both ways; baby begins to sit on their own; begins to support own weight when standing; begins the first stages of crawling.
4. 9 Months
- Emotional/Social – Maybe shy around strangers and clingy with familiar people (parents, siblings); begins to choose favorite toys.
- Communication – Begins to form words such as “Mama” and “Dada”; begins to point at things; mimics sounds and gestures; comprehends “no.”
- Cognitive – Begins to pick up small things with their index finger and thumb; plays peek-a-boo; will look for things they see you hide (stuffed animal under a blanket).
- Physical – Can move into a sitting position and sit with no support; begins to pull self into a standing position and stands while holding onto something; begins to crawl.
5. 1 Year
- Emotional/Social – Picks favorite toys and people. Sometimes cries when dad or mom leaves and begins to show fear. They start to connect with books during storytime and begins to help dress him/herself.
- Communication – Can respond to simple requests; begins to use gestures to communicate (shaking head “no” or “yes,” waving goodbye); begins to repeat simple words; tries to mimic words others say.
- Cognitive – Can begin using cups, brushes, utensils correctly. They also start to bang on things to make noise, shake rattles or toys that make noise, and throw toys. They can put stuff in and take things out of a container and follow simple directions.
- Physical – Begins to walk while holding on to something; begins to stand alone; Could start to take a few steps without hanging on.
There are many fantastic crib mobiles on the market today – all with unique features. The mobile that is best for you depends on what you need. Do you want a mobile that soothes baby to sleep? Do you want a mobile that stimulates your baby and encourages your baby’s development? Some mobiles have some of these features, and some have them all.
Baby’s development begins at birth and never ends. Crib mobiles are an excellent way to promote a baby’s growth in the first year – when the baby will reach some of his/her significant milestones. Allowing your baby to self-sooth and go to sleep on his/her own promotes healthy emotional development and helps to create confident and independent children (source).
While baby products, such as crib mobiles are great at promoting your child’s development, always remember YOU are your baby’s best teacher!
Top 5 Best Crib Mobiles for the Nursery in the Market
|1||Tiny Love Meadow Days Take...||2,934 Reviews||$24.99 $19.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||SHILOH Baby Crib Musical...||927 Reviews||$17.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||OMORC 34 Inch Baby Crib Mobile...||1,183 Reviews||$13.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Tiny Love Take Along Mobile...||2,931 Reviews||$24.99 $19.99||Buy on Amazon|
|5||AGPtek Baby Crib Mobile Bed...||174 Reviews||$13.99||Buy on Amazon|