Make-believe play has many positive benefits for children. Children learn by watching, imagining, then doing. The first teachers for children are their parents. Children constantly observe their parents while they do chores around the house, interact with one another and other family members or friends, and while parents “play” (swim, make-believe with their children, etc.). Children begin observing everything that goes on around them as soon as they can focus.
Child care facilities, pre-k’s, and primary schools all use make-believe play to help children begin to learn. Many pre-k and kindergarten classrooms have kitchen playsets as well as baby nurseries and other settings that allow children to use their imaginations and learn to interact with others.
Make-believe play is an important part of your child’s emotional, social, and cognitive development. Here are 5 positive benefits of make-believe (dramatic) play:
- Promotes self-regulation because children learn to control their impulses while playing by the rules of the game, learn to communicate with others, and they learn to plan out different scenarios to play out with their friends.
- Provides an emotional outlet for children and allows them to learn how to control their emotions in different settings.
- Promotes conflict resolution skills as children work with others to create and act out planned scenarios. Children may not always agree how the scenarios should be acted out – and they learn to work together, to compromise, and to find solutions that benefit everyone.
- Promotes literacy. Children learn by seeing words written on things that we see each day – for example, when pretending to shop, children may use a shopping list; if they are pretending to eat in a restaurant, they may use a menu. This allows them to see how literacy is a part of our everyday, real world.
- Promotes reading comprehension. Often children will re-enact a story that has been read to them, especially it is one of their favorites stories. Children often act out fairy tales that have been read to them – tales of princes and princesses, or a favorite of many children, the big, bad wolf.
Pretend play has numerous benefits, including promoting physical development, social development, language development, emotional development, and thinking skills. All of these are important and help your child grow up to be confident, strong, and eager to learn. Children learn by mimicking what they see in the home – what better way to help them develop that a play kitchen?
As your children’s first “teacher”, it is important to encourage them to explore the world around them. It is important to teach them how to develop relationships with others and how to treat others so that it is easy to maintain healthy relationships. Your children learn all of this through play, through mimicking the actions of others around them, and by having and settling disagreements in a civil manner. It’s amazing the role “play” has in our children’s development.
7 Best Play Kitchen Comparisons
|Brand||Age Recommendation||Dimensions||Accessories||View on Amazon|
KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen
|36 months – 15 years||42.4 x 32.7 x 36.6 inches||Not included||Check Price|
Step2 Heart of the Home Kitchen Playset
|24 months – 8 years||12 x 45.1 x 48 inches||Included||Check Price|
Step2 Grand Walk-In Kitchen and Grill
|24 months – 8 years||36 x 50.8 x 47 inches||Included||Check Price|
Hape Wood Kids Play Kitchen
|3 years and up||21 x 27.8 x 12.6 inches||Included||Check Price|
KidKraft Uptown Natural Kitchen
|3 years and up||43 x 17.8 x 41 inches||Not included||Check Price|
KidKraft Uptown Espresso Kitchen
|36 months – 15 years||42.5 x 17.1 x 41 inches||Not included||Check Price|
Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen
|24 months – 6 years||14 x 28 x 41.5 inches||Included||Check Price|
Table of Contents
- 7 Best Play Kitchen Comparisons
- 7 Best Play Kitchen in 2018 Reviews
- #1. KidKraft Ultimate Corner – Best Wooden Play Kitchen
- #2. Step2 Heart of the Home – Best Play Kitchen for 2-Year-Olds
- #3. Step2 Grand Walk-In – Best Play Kitchen for Toddlers
- #4. Hape Wood Kids – Best Play Kitchen for 3-year-olds
- #5. KidKraft Uptown – Best Play Kitchen for 5-year-olds
- #6. KidKraft Uptown Espresso Kitchen – Best Play Kitchen for 6-year-olds
- #7. Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen – Best Children’s Play Kitchen
- Final Thoughts
7 Best Play Kitchen in 2018 Reviews
#1. KidKraft Ultimate Corner – Best Wooden Play Kitchen
The KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen is one of the best wooden play kitchens available. Made of composite wood products, this play kitchen is durable and designed to provide your child with hours of make-believe fun.
There is plenty of room for more than one child to play. The play kitchen includes a stove, refrigerator, freezer, oven, microwave, dishwasher, and a washing machine for a complete kitchen setup. Lights and sounds make this one of the best kids play kitchens because of the authenticity of the product.
- Speckled granite style counter top;Sink with faucet and taps...
- Refrigerator, freezer, microwave, oven and dishwasher doors...
- Stove-top burners,Ice makers has lights and sounds
#2. Step2 Heart of the Home – Best Play Kitchen for 2-Year-Olds
One of the best play kitchens for 2-year-olds is the Step2 Grand Walk-in Kitchen and Grill. This play kitchen is equipped with everything your children need to re-enact everyday situations they have observed.
The Grand Walk-in features a stove top, grill, refrigerator, and attached dining area – providing hours of fun with family and friends. Children can invite friends over for a cookout, prepare family meals, or host dinner or birthday parties. The sky (or your child’s imagination) is the limit with this play kitchen.
- A realistic toy kitchen design that includes a pet nurturing...
- Play features include white wipe-off board on pretend...
- Translucent cupboard doors, "stainless steel" refrigerator,...
#3. Step2 Grand Walk-In – Best Play Kitchen for Toddlers
The farmhouse style of the Step2 Heart of the Home Play Kitchen makes it one of the best play kitchens for toddlers. With a pet feeding station and realistic sounds, this play kitchen will make your child feel right at home.
This fully stocked kitchen is large enough for multiple children to cook on the stovetop, in the oven, or heat leftovers in the microwave. It even includes a dry-erase grocery list and reusable grocery bag, so your child can stock up when supplies are running low. This sturdy, molded-plastic kitchen is one of the best toddler play kitchens on the market – and is built to last.
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Includes a 103-piece accessory set
- Kitchen has 3 realistic electronic features: grill, stove...
#4. Hape Wood Kids – Best Play Kitchen for 3-year-olds
If you are searching for the best play kitchen for 3-year-olds, the Hape Wood Kids Play Kitchen may be just the thing. Made with high-quality wood, this play kitchen is built to withstand the rigors of everyday play – and it is large enough for more than one child to play.
The Hape Wood Kids Play Kitchen includes a stovetop, oven, sink, and storage area under the sink for children to store their favorite dishes and food. Make-believe play with this play kitchen promotes creativity, social development, and boost spatial and organizational skills.
- DELUXE HAPE KITCHEN PLAYSET: Get everything *and* the...
- 13 PREMIUM WOODEN KITCHEN TOYS: High-quality wood makes...
- 100% SAFE, NONTOXIC PARTS: Our kids kitchen playsets are...
#5. KidKraft Uptown – Best Play Kitchen for 5-year-olds
For the best play kitchen for 5-year-olds, the KidKraft Uptown Natural Kitchen may be what you are looking for. This sturdy wooden kitchen is the perfect size for your child and friends or siblings to pretend they are running the kitchen. It includes a refrigerator, freezer, oven, stovetop, microwave, sink, and dishwasher for a realistic play area.
Based in Dallas, Texas, KidKraft has been providing quality toys for over 50 years. KidKraft toys are designed to inspire exploration and creativity – and the company is fully committed to inspiring young minds to be all they can be.
#6. KidKraft Uptown Espresso Kitchen – Best Play Kitchen for 6-year-olds
By the time your child has reached the age of 6, the creative juices are really flowing, and role-playing is a large part of their fun. This sturdy play kitchen has interactive features that allow your children to experience “real” kitchen scenarios with friends or siblings.
Designed to last for years, this play kitchen lasts from first child to last – providing years of entertainment and expressive play. The stove-top is equipped with four raised burners and the oven and microwave have see-through doors for a more realistic look.
#7. Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen – Best Children’s Play Kitchen
As one of the best children’s play kitchens, the Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen Playset come equipped with everything your child needs for hours of make-believe fun. This play kitchen is designed with an upscale and chic look that any girl or boy will love – and comes with a stainless-steel oven, microwave, and refrigerator. To enhance the upscale look, this kitchen has “granite” counter tops, decorative plate rack, and a storage shelf.
Based in Streetsboro, Ohio, Step2 began in 1991 with five employees. Their success has allowed them to grow into one of the most popular manufacturers of children’s products and they now have over 800 employees. Their mission is to create toys that foster learning and development through creative play from toddlers to school-aged kids.
- Special frying pan and boiling pot with lid activate...
- Upscale, granite-look counter tops, decorative plate rack,...
- "Stainless steel" oven, microwave and refrigerator enhance...
Free play is just as important for your child as structured learning. Free play helps children to develop a sense of their own identity – who they are, what they like, what they don’t like. Free play helps children, even babies, learn to make their own choices.
Make-believe play helps children develop social skills at an early age – skills that will help them succeed in school and beyond. They learn to communicate with others, work out differences, and work together to reach a certain outcome. They learn to share, and to care about others – all through play.
Parents play an influential role in how children learn to interact with the world around them. Contribute to your child’s learning experience by encouraging (and participating in) pretend play. If you are invited to our child’s kitchen for a dinner s/he has prepared, be sure to attend and pretend!
As parents, we teach our children about relationships by example. Observation is one the most fundamental processes of learning – and children watch everything we do, even when we think their minds are occupied with other things. The observe how we develop and maintain our relationships, how we treat others, they learn about empathy and love through observing us showing these things.
Finding the best kid play kitchen for your children will allow you to encourage role-playing games that help them develop social, cognitive, and spatial skills that will last a lifetime. Fun is learning – learning is fun.
Childhood is marked with many important milestones – and learning at an early age is essential for a successful adult. But, most of all, childhood is supposed to be FUN! Encourage your child’s developmental growth by encouraging free play and creative play – and watch your child grow to be a confident and expressive member of your household and the community around you. Your child’s success begins with YOU! Let’s PLAY!
Top 10 Best Play Kitchens For Kids & Toddlers In The Market
|1||Melissa & Doug Stainless Steel...||1,418 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|2||Melissa & Doug Wooden Scoop...||440 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|3||Melissa & Doug Scoop and Stack...||651 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|4||Step2 488399 Fun with Friends...||84 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|5||Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen...||441 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|6||KidKraft Vintage Kitchen -...||1,141 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|7||KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play...||589 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|8||Step2 Lifestyle Fresh Accents...||565 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|9||Little Tikes Backyard Barbeque...||418 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
|10||KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play...||594 Reviews||Check Latest Price|
Related Buyer’s guides and Posts Lists: