One of the most concerning aspects of caring for a newborn is the fear of SIDS. Each year in the United States, around 3,500 babies die from SIDS.(Source) SUID (Sudden Unexpected Infant Death) or SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) occur when a baby dies unexpectedly, usually during sleep or in the sleeping environment.
The deaths can include suffocation occurring in the sleep environment (baby bed, co-sleeping, etc.) or other unexplained deaths that occur while baby is sleeping.
Comparison of 7 Best Swaddle Blankets in 2019
|Image||Brand||Size/ Adjustable||Material||Type of Fastening||Latest Price|
|SwaddleMe Original Swaddle||Adjustable in 3 stages for preemie and up||100% Cotton||Hook and Loop Velcro||Check Price|
|Halo SleepSack||Newborn – 6-12 pounds|
Small – 13-18 pounds Adjustable
|100% Cotton||Zipper||Check Price|
|Safe Dreams by Halo||Newborn – 6-12 pounds|
Small – 13-18 pounds
|100% Cotton||Zipper||Check Price|
|Aden + anais Silky Soft Swaddle Baby Blanket||47” x 47” adjustable blanket||100% bamboo muslin||None||Check Price|
|Ziggy Baby Muslin Swaddle Blanket||47” x 47”||100% Muslin Cotton||None||Check Price|
|Love to Dream Swaddle UP||Newborn – 5-8.5 lbs|
Small – 6.5-13 pounds
Medium – 13-18.5 pounds
|SwaddleDesigns Ultimate Swaddle Blanket||42” x 42”||Cotton Flannel||None||Check Price|
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 7 Best Swaddle Blankets in 2019
- Top 7 Best Swaddle Blanket Reviews in 2019
- The American Academy of Pediatrics offers the following tips to reduce the risk of SIDS:
- Final Thoughts
Top 7 Best Swaddle Blanket Reviews in 2019
1. SwaddleMe Original Swaddle
One of the best swaddle blankets for preemies is the SwaddleMe Original Swaddle. The SwaddleMe has 3 stages – Pod stage for small babies, Original Swaddle for babies between 7 and 14 pounds, and the Love Sack stage for babies up to 20 pounds.
SwaddleMe is a brand from Summer Infant, Inc. Located in Rhode Island, Summer Infant has been providing caregivers and mothers a wide range of quality products that make life safer, easier, and more fun for baby and caregiver. From swaddling blankets to play yards, Summer Infant is dedicated to turning parenthood into a magical time.
2. HALO SleepSack 100% Cotton Swaddle
You can swaddle baby in your arms to decrease the startle reflex in newborns, hands-to-face for self-soothing, and one or both arms out for older babies transitioning from swaddling to free sleep.
The Halo Company of safe-sleep products for babies began when the founder lost a baby to SIDS. He researched and reviewed medical research and health recommendations in an effort to design the safest sleeping swaddles to help prevent other families from suffering such a horrific loss. Out of this desperation to help other families came the wearable sleep blankets that Halo is known for.
3. Safe Dreams by Halo Blue Micro-Fleece
Safe Dreams by Halo is another of the best baby swaddle blankets from the Halo Company. With the same “safe sleep” design as the previous swaddle blanket, the Safe Dreams swaddle blanket can be used to swaddle baby or as a wearable blanket as baby grows.
This wearable blanket is made from microfleece and has a TOG level of 3 because of the multiple layers. A level 3 TOG indicates the blanket will keep baby warm on the coldest of nights. TOG is the unit of measure used in the textile trade to measure thermal insulation – or how well it keeps a person warm.
*Note: Keep in mind that each layer of clothing, including baby’s pajamas, have a TOG level, so be careful about dressing baby in too many layers.
4. Aden + Anais Silky Soft Swaddle Baby Blanket
The blanket can be folded to snugly swaddle your baby of any size for a good night’s sleep – night after night. It can also be used as a receiving blanket, nursing cover, burp cloth, and much more.
Aden + Anais came to be when Australian-born Raegan Moya-Jones was unable to find the cotton muslin blankets that Australian moms have used for generations in the US, where she now lives with her husband.
She introduced the first muslin swaddling blanket to America in 2006 and they were an instant hit. The quality, safety standards, and versatility of aden + anais one of the best swaddle blanket brands sold in 65 countries.
Also Read: Best Crib Sheets For Your Babies
5. Ziggy Baby Muslin Swaddle Blankets
Made from 100% muslin cotton, the Ziggy Baby Muslin Swaddle Blankets are some of the best muslin swaddle blankets available. They are soft, lightweight, and breathable to provide the perfect swaddle for your little one. These swaddle blankets are large and versatile enough for many uses.
Based in New York, the Ziggy Baby mission is to provide high-quality baby products at affordable and competitive prices. Ziggy Baby provides a full line of innovative nursery and baby products designed to make a parent’s life easier and baby’s life more comfortable.
6. Love To Dream Swaddle UP Original 1.0 TOG
97% breathable cotton fabric makes the Love to Dream Swaddle UP one of the best swaddle blankets for summer. The single layer of this swaddle blanket allows you to swaddle your baby snugly without the worry of baby overheating during the night.
Love to Dream Swaddle UP allows your baby to sleep in the most natural position – arms up, on the back, legs and hips free to move – for a safe night’s sleep every night.
Based in Australia, Love to Dream was born from a mom’s challenging attempt at getting her newborn to sleep. After 18 months of sleepless nights, she decided to use her skills as a fashion designer and solve the problem herself.
Thus, Swaddle UP collection was born and is designed to help baby sleep safely and comfortably through the night. Honored as one of the top 20 companies making Australia’s future bright and a top 20 winner of the Westpac Businesses of Tomorrow Award), Love to Dream’s Newborn to Toddler Sleep System brings high-quality sleep solutions to parents around the world.
7. SwaddleDesigns Ultimate Swaddle Blanket
There is nothing more comfortable in the winter than cotton flannel. One of the best swaddle blankets for winter, SwaddleDesigns Ultimate Swaddle Blanket is made in the US with premium, lightweight and breathable cotton flannel – designed to keep baby swaddled snugly and warm throughout the night without overheating.
SwaddleDesigns was founded in 2002, when Lynette Damir used her medical background and design education to create blankets that encourage parents to swaddle – which helps everyone get a good night’s sleep.
She understands that supine swaddling has many benefits, including helping babies transition from the womb to the surrounding world, helps babies sleep sounder and longer (good for baby and parents), decreases baby being awakened by the startle reflex, and most importantly, swaddling decreases incidences of SIDS.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers the following tips to reduce the risk of SIDS:
1. Sleeping Area
- Your baby should be placed on a firm sleep surface – mattress covered with a tight-fitting sheet.
- Do not place baby on a soft surface (waterbed, cushion, or pillow) to sleep.
- Do not place anything in the crib except baby – no soft toys, pillows, blankets, quilts, or bumper pads.
- It is recommended that baby’s crib be placed in the room with you for the first six months to one year – preferably within arm’s reach of your bed, if possible.
- Babies should not sleep in the same bed as parents. This increases the risk of SIDS, strangulation, and suffocation.
2. Sleep position
- Until 1 year of age, baby should be placed on his/her back unless directed by a physician to place on tummy. This usually occurs if there are certain medical conditions that require sleeping on the tummy.
- Do not let baby sleep in a swing, car seat, or stroller longer than necessary – place baby on a firm surface as quickly as possible.
- Swaddle baby until he/she learns to roll over. Swaddling provides a safe, secure sleeping environment for baby and it is easier for baby to sleep on the back.
3. Other Precautions
- Breastfeeding is recommended as the sole source of nutrition for baby’s first six months.
- Take baby to all well check-ups.
- Keep baby away from smokers.
- Do not use wedges, positioner, or specialized sleep surfaces to reduce the risk of SIDS – place baby on flat, firm mattress for sleeping.
4. Benefits of Swaddling
Swaddling your baby has many benefits. Below are a few ways baby benefits from being swaddled properly:
- Babies often sleep sounder and longer when swaddled.
- Baby is more likely to remain on his/her back if swaddled.
- Babies have less anxiety when swaddled snugly – they feel safe and secure.
- Babies are woken up less from the startle reflex when swaddled.
- If swaddled, babies do not need comfort items (blankets, stuffed animals, pillows) – which are not recommended in the bed while baby is sleeping.
- There is less risk of face scratching if baby is swaddled securely.
- If your swaddled baby wakes up during the night, he/she often falls back to sleep easily if swaddled because it mimics your touch.
5. Safety Tips for Swaddling:
- Never over-swaddle – this can lead to overheating.
- Be sure the tips of the blanket are tucked in securely to prevent unraveling.
- Do not keep baby swaddled all day – only when sleeping.
- Do not swaddle baby once he/she learns to roll over.
6. Tips for ensuring your baby does not overheat while sleeping:
- Room temperature should be between 68-72 degrees F (20-22 C).
- Baby’s tummy and chest should feel warm, while extremities (hands, feet, head) should be neither cold or hot to the touch.
- Check TOG level for each layer of clothing – pajamas and swaddle blanket – to avoid adding too many layers.
- Babies over 8 pounds (or in an extremely cold environment) should not have their heads covered.
- Swaddle safely for sweet dreams for the entire family.
While there are many swaddle blankets on the market today, it is important that you choose one that will fit your little one safely and comfortably, with no extra blanket left out that could pose a smothering risk. Be sure to choose the correct size, material that suits the climate, and learn how to swaddle correctly.
For babies under six months old, swaddling and lying on the back is the safest and most natural way to sleep. This provides baby with deeper and longer sleeps, which allows frazzled parents to get the rest you need to properly care for yourself and baby. Whichever you choose from this list of the best swaddle blankets, here’s hoping for a restful night for you and your little one.
Top 5 Best Swaddle Blankets in the Market
|1||Nested Bean Zen Sack Classic -...||938 Reviews||from $37.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||LTD Original Parent||2,483 Reviews||from $29.95||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Galabloomer Newborn Receiving...||91 Reviews||$10.90 from $9.90||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Hudson Baby Unisex Baby...||587 Reviews||$11.05 $8.00||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Love To Dream Swaddle UP 50/50...||860 Reviews||from $63.99||Buy on Amazon|