Slime is one of the most favorite toys for children, babies, and even some adults around the globe. It is a vicious, gooey substance that can be stretched or molded using your hands and is incredibly fun. Slime was a toy product manufactured by Mattel, sold in a plastic trash can and introduced in February 1976 (Source).
If you’re looking to buy slime from the market for you or your kids, we advise that before spending your money, try these best slime recipes for toddlers using simple ingredients in your home.
There are numerous ways to make slime, each requiring slightly different ingredients and manufacturing process. You can pick the specific way that suits your resources and time availability. We’re listing a few to make clear slime for you to try at your home.
How to make clear slime?
Most consumers are worried that their homemade slime comes out too cloudy and looks dirty. Don’t worry; we have you covered. Here’s an easy step by step guide to making clear slime at home.
- Half cup of glue
- Just one-half cup of normal water
- Half cup of warm water
- A quarter teaspoon of borax
- Take a large bowl and dump a half-cup of glue in it
- Then add a half-cup of regular tap water to the glue and mix them with a spatula or a spoon. You can double the amount of water and glue if you want a bigger batch.
- Take another bowl and add a quarter teaspoon of borax in it. It is advised to wear gloves while working with borax as it should never come in contact with your skin.
- Then add warm water in the bowl and stir the solution until the borax dissolves. You’ll have a cloudy mixture at the end of this step.
- Now pour the borax solution in the glue mixture and stir them together with a spoon. The mixture will start to look like clear slime.
- Keep stirring until all the liquids are absorbed.
- Use your hands to stretch and squish the slime to help it reach perfect quality. It takes time to get it to the required consistency. The longer you knead, the more stretchy your slime would be.
- Place it in a cool, airtight place for 1-2 days to make it crystal clear. The more time you leave it, the more transparent, it’ll become.
- Your slime is ready for play.
How to make slime with contact solutions?
Here’s a step by step guide on how to make clear slime with contact solutions, baking soda, and glue.
- one cup glue
- one cup of water
- two tablespoons contact saline solution
- one tablespoon baking soda
- Take a bowl and pour one tablespoon of baking soda in it. Add one cup of water to it and stir the solution using a spatula or a spoon until the baking soda dissolves appropriately.
- Take a separate bowl and add one cup of glue in it.
- Pour the baking soda solution in the glue and stir until the components are entirely mixed.
- Take two tablespoons of contact saline solution and pour it in the mixture. Stir until it dissolves and makes a gooey structure.
- Use your hands to knead the slime-like structure until it absorbs all the liquids. The longer you squish, the thicker the slime will be.
- Leave the solution in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Your slime is ready.
How to make slime without glue and cornstarch?
If you do not have access to glue or cornstarch and still want to make slime for your kid, we have a solution for you.
- One tablespoon psyllium husk (readily available at health food stores)
- One cup of water
- Food colors (optional)
- Take a bowl and add one cup of water in it
- Add one tablespoon of psyllium husk and pour it in the water bowl
- Let the mixture soak for five minutes to thicken it
- Add a few drops of food color if desired. Stir the solution to mix it thoroughly.
- Put the resulting solution in the microwave for five minutes.
- Keep a close eye on the slime as you’ll have to pause the microwave when the slime bubbles to let it cool down.
- Un-pause the microwave timer and repeat until the microwave timer is up.
- Put the solution in the fridge for a few minutes to let it cool down
- Your slime is ready to play with
How to make fluffy slime for toddlers?
Fluffy slime is just like regular slime but has added shaving cream for a softer texture and fluffiness. If you want to take it to the next step, and learn how to make fluffy slime for kids, carefully follow the listed steps.
- One-half cup of glue
- Get a half cup shaving cream
- One tablespoon cornstarch
- Just one teaspoon borax
- One cup of warm water
- Optional food colors and lotion
- Take a bowl and pour a half cup of glue in it.
- Add half cup of shaving cream in the same container. Stir together until thoroughly mixed.
- Next, add one tablespoon of cornstarch in the bowl. Mix the ingredients carefully and thoroughly to make it slime-like.
- Then add a few drops of lotion if you want to make your slime stretchy (optional).
- Add food colors to make the slime more attractive (optional).
- Take a separate bowl and add one teaspoon of borax in it.
- Add one cup of hot water in the bowl and mix it thoroughly to make a borax solution.
- Add three teaspoons of the borax solution to your slime-like solution and knead properly.
- Rub a few drops of lotion on the slime to enhanced stretchiness.
- Squish the slime until it reaches optimum consistency.
- Your slime is ready.
How to make slime less sticky?
If your slime comes out to be too sticky and leaves residue behind, try these steps.
- Dump the slime back in the bowl and add more water.
- Squish and knead until the water is absorbed.
- If the slime is still too sticky, take a bowl and add a quarter teaspoon of borax in it.
- Add one cup of water with borax to make a solution.
- Put the slime in the borax mixture and squish it until you feel like it is perfect.
- Your non-stick slime is ready.
How to make slime stretchy?
If your end product comes out a little rigid and you don’t know how to make the slime more stretchy, follow the following simple steps
- Take your slime and put it on a smooth, clean surface. Make sure it is pushed down, so it lies flat on the surface.
- Add a few drops of lotion on top of the slime.
- Rub the lotion until it dissolves.
- Knead and squish the slime to absorb the leftover lotion.
- If the slime is still not stretchy enough, repeat the process until it reaches optimum consistency.
Use hot water:
- Take a bowl and add hot water to it.
- Put your slime in the bowl and let it stay there for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Take the slime out and put in on a dry surface.
- Knead and squish the slime to optimum consistency.
- Repeat the process if necessary
It is advised to wear safety gloves during the manufacturing process. Wash your hands before and after playing with slime to make it last longer. Seek adult supervision while working with hot water, microwaves, and chemical solutions.
Compare All Toys for Toddlers
In the market for a Toy for Toddlers? Check out this guide comparing the features of some of the best ones in our opinion.
Other Articles You May Enjoy
Overview Introduction Have you ever stepped into your living room after your kid's playtime and immediately declared it a disaster area? If you are finding it difficult to remember when the last...
Overview Introduction Kids piggy banks are a fantastic way to help encourage children to learn about saving money and the benefits thereof. Most of us know the feeling of accomplishment and joy that...
Overview Introduction Many of us in our childhood dreamed about being a cool spy that works with high-tech gadgets and solves mysteries. You might remember getting a new spy gadget or learning a new...