Swaddling is an age-old practice of wrapping infants in blankets or a similar cloth, so that movement of the limbs is tightly restricted (Source). Babies tend to sleep on their backs, increasing the risk of random startles that can disturb their sleep. Wrapping them in a SwaddleMe swaddling blanket can restrict their body movements and keep them from startling or waking up, so you and your baby sleep without interruptions.
Table of Contents
How to use SwaddleMe?
SwaddleMe is a uniquely made blanket to replace loose cloths. It easily wraps around the baby while still allowing enough room for the legs and allows for slight movements. SwaddleMe is made of 100 percent cotton and is easier to use than regular loose blankets as it is designed to keep your baby wrapped in a pouch to imitate the feeling of a womb.
If you’re looking to learn how to use a swaddle blanket, the American Academy of Pediatrics has laid out the basic guidelines for you to follow to swaddle your baby correctly, so make sure you follow them precisely.
How to swaddle a baby (step by step):
- Lay down the swaddle blanket on a flat surface and keep the pocket side up
- Place your baby facing up on top of the sheet with his/her shoulders aligned with the top of the blanket
- Place your baby’s feet inside the pocket and stretch it up to his/her chest
- Take the left side of the sheet and fold it over your baby including the arm
- Tuck the excess blanket under your baby’s opposite arm and hook it to the right-wing
- Hold your baby’s right arm down and fold the other side of the sheet over your baby
- Hook or Velcro this side of the blanket to the other side for a snug wrap
- Make sure there’s no hazardous material near the swaddle area
- Avoid wrapping the blanket too loose or too tight
- Leave room for leg and hip movement
- Only lay down your babies on their backs while they’re swaddled to prevent SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Do not cover any part of your baby’s face for comfortable breathing
- Only practice swaddling until the baby learns to roll over
- Learn your baby’s behavioral patterns and choose the best way to swaddle
How to use Summer Infant SwaddleMe:
Summer Infant SwaddleMe blankets have additional functionality of Velcro on top of the pouch that sticks to the wrapping sides for a warmer and snugger wrap. Here’s a step by on how to use a SwaddleMe wrap.
- Lay down the blanket and spread it out
- Put your baby on top with their back against the blanket
- Put your baby’s legs in the pouch and stretch it up to their chest
- Peel off the flap to reveal Velcro
- Hold down your baby’s left arm and pull the left side of the blanket over your baby. Tuck it under the opposite arm
- Hold down your baby’s right arm and wrap the right side of the sheet over your baby.
- Attach the tabs to the Velcro to keep the blanket together
How to use SwaddleMe WrapSack:
- Place the WrapSack on a flat surface and spread it out
- Place your baby on top of the blanket and close bottom part over baby’s shoulders
- Hold the left-wing and wrap it around the baby, tucking it under him/her
- Hold the right-wing and wrap it around the baby
- You can keep your baby’s arms in or out of the blanket depending on your baby’s preference
How to swaddle a baby with arms out?
Swaddling restricts bodily movement, and once babies learn to roll over, it is advised to swaddle them without their arms tucked in, to avoid Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Also, some fussy babies might feel uncomfortable if their arms stay wrapped inside the blanket for even a short amount of time. You can swaddle your babies with their arms out to keep them comfortable and avoid any accidents. We’re listing a step by step guide to help you out.
- Spread the blanket over a flat surface
- Lay the baby on top, so the shoulders of the baby are parallel with the top of the sheet
- Put baby’s feet in the pouch and stretch it up to his/her chest
- Hold your baby’s left arm up and wrap left wing around him/her, tucking it under him/her
- Hold your baby’s right arm up and cover the right-wing around him/her, Velcro to the left-wing
- Make sure your baby can move his/her arms freely, and tightly wrap the rest of the body
How to swaddle with arms up?
Newborns are fragile, and it is advised not to let them stretch out their limbs too much. You can swaddle them in a frog shape with their hands near their face to provide them with the same natural position they were in the womb. Here’s a step by step guide on how to swaddle a baby with their arms up.
- Spread the blanket on a flat surface
- Put the baby on top, so their back is against the sheet and tuck their feet in the pouch
- Hold your baby’s left arm, gently bent near their cheek and wrap the left wing around your baby, tucking it under the baby
- Hold your baby’s right arm, gently turned near their cheek and wrap the right-wing around the baby, Velcro it close
How to swaddle a baby at night?
Most babies love to stay swaddled while they sleep as it replicates the warmth and comfort of a womb and helps them transition into the real world. However, parents must keep an eye on their swaddled child to prevent them from rolling over or getting irritated at night.
Here’s a list of things you should keep in mind if you’re planning to swaddle your baby at night.
- Babies learn to roll over after a few months of being born, and if a swaddled baby rolls over, it can cause death by suffocation or pain. So it is heavily advised to wrap your baby with their arms out.
- Do not have loose blankets and sheets in your bed or crib because it increases the chance of suffocation.
- Do not leave the baby unattended as swaddling can cause his/her body to overheat. Keep a lookout for symptoms of unease and maintain an optimum temperature for the baby through the night.
- We advise you to keep your baby in a crib or bassinet rather allow them to sleep in your bed.
Swaddling can help your baby sleep for much longer as it prevents sleep startles and keeps your baby snug and comfortable. You don’t need several crib pillows to keep your child on their back when a simple swaddle can do the trick. You should keep in mind that you need to be extremely careful and gentle with your baby and keep the swaddling instructions carefully in mind so you and your baby can have an incredible growth journey together.